A ROAD MAP FOR YOUR BUSINESS
Having discovered your inner dream (refer 6th October Monday Morning Memo) the next step is to link it to a new Strategic Objective (a roadmap for your business). Your Strategic Objective is your documented blueprint describing how your business will be the vehicle to convert your hidden treasure from dream to reality.
It must be concise, easy to read and preferably one page. It should open with your business vision statement (one paragraph describing your vision as germinated from your hidden treasure), preceded by your business purpose statement (one – two paragraphs interpreting your vision in practical terms) and followed by the unique supporting characteristics of your business.
Be prayerful as you consider the specifics for your business (existing or emerging). Think about:
- Products, services
- Entity size in five years (annual sales, annual profits, business value, number of employees)
- Entity growth (sales, profits, production)
- Geographical footprint (trading zone, presence)
- Consumer/beneficiary demographics and positioning (primary/secondary target audience)
- Unique and/or competitive point of difference (generic vs high end) in product, service, price, distribution, promotion
- Employees (behaviour, dress code)
- Any other important elements needed to favourably and authentically serve to separate your business from the “crowd” so that it has greater ongoing positive awareness in the minds of your employees, suppliers, clients and other indirect stakeholders
It keeps the whole team on the same page. It keeps everyonemoving forward to the heartbeat of your vision. It communicates your commitment to your team. It lights up the road ahead for everyone. It reduces uncertainty about the future.
It will help your business be like a strong ‘fruit bearing and shade giving’ tree that is firmly rooted in good soil and watered by your God sourced vision yet flexible enough to weather unforeseen change (the occasional unexpected wild storm). It is your team’s roadmap to be kept in hand so you all keep on track.
“…They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.” Psalm 1:3
“…The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8
“…You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.” Psalm 73:24
“…Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, ‘I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go.’ ” Isaiah 48:17